Sunday, October 24, 2010

A bit Cheesy

The sun is out, the air is warm, and Katipunan Ave. is bustling with cars and people but I feel alone and in the dark. I know that is very cheesy but two of my good friends, Japanese girls who worked in my office, have recently returned to Japan. If I may continue the cheesiness for just a bit longer, this brings a poem of Edgar Alan Poe to my mind.

Beloved! Amid the earnest woes,
That crowd around my earthly path,
(Drear path, Alas where grows
Not even one lonely rose.)
My soul at least a solace hath
In dreams of thee, and therein knows
An Eden of bland repose.

And thus thy memory is to me,
Like some enchanted far off isle,
In some tumultuous sea,
Some ocean throbbing far and free,
With storms,but where meanwhile
Serenest skies continually
Just o'er that one bright island smile.

This poem is a bit strong for just saying goodbye to friends but I am an emotional person. The poem is a bit inaccurate though since I can't really describe my woes as “earnest” but definitely in my path, Katipunan Ave especially, you would be hard-pressed to find any rose. The two girls leaving marks an end to one chapter of my internship at Maligaya House since now I will have probably more responsibilities and I do not want to think about going back to the office on Tuesday with just My boss, coworker, and I. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice but I became close to the other girls. I have known and befriended a lot of Japanese girls, maybe its because of this experience we shared in the Philippines, but these girls stood out. I learned a lot from them personally and also about Japan in particular. At several times throughout the time they spent here I got into discussions, sometimes arguments, over various things about American and Japanese politics and I came to realize that our senses of nationality identity were very different.
I'll give an example. There is group of small island in between Japan and South Korea known as the Liancourt Rocks, or in Korean: Dokdo, or in Japanese :Takeshima. Nobody lives on these islands and there isn't much economic value aside from some nice places to fish. Both countries apparently have claimed they have a long history of controlling these island for the last 1,500 years. Japan was in control of them during their colonization of Korea but after the war the situation became ambiguous. I am not a seasoned historian in this matter but from what I understand,after Japan surrendered and the Republic of Korea was established, the Korean government quickly seized their opportunity and claimed the islands. The Japanese have continuously complained about this ever since but the Korean government made it clear in the 1950's that they would not accept any resolution from an International Court and the American government has stayed neutral in this dispute. Now the situation has not changed so much since the 50's and both countries still officially claim the islands but there are supposedly two Korean guys who live an idle life fishing and making sure the Korean flag is visible to any nearby Japanese ship. If you are like me than you would probably overlook this dispute as one those petty political games that governments play to demonstrate strength but all it took was some relatively obscure prefecture in Japan to declare a “Takeshima Day” in 2005 to cause massive protests across South Korea and even motivated a Korean man to burn himself alive and a mother and son to cut off their own fingers. The reactions do not seem to be in proportion with the problem itself. According to my Japanese friends, Takeshima is important for Japan because it extends their sea boundary and territory. I can understand why the government of Japan wants to extend its territory but I don't understand why that translates to the average population. My theory for why the Koreans are so passionate is that perhaps there is still bitterness towards the Japanese because of their harsh occupation during the Second World War and the islands have become a symbol of their national pride. I am not surprised that the government of Japan and South Korea cannot come to a satisfactory agreement since people usually begin to act like children when they enter politics but I am surprised that two intelligent, sweet Japanese girls also repeat the line of their government. I am convinced that if those islands became part of Japan tomorrow, their daily lives would not change at all except for perhaps the newspaper would be full of stories of anti-Japan protests in Korea. So what does the average Japanese really gain by insisting on acquiring these islands? This is where I think national pride gets in the way of pragmatism.
It is as if a political win which in reality has no real value is not just a victory for the politicians involved but for the nation and the Japanese people as a whole. Countries have fought wars over smaller disputes, and the Japanese government is acting like any government would in the Western world but what interests me is how these girls identify themselves. It seems to me that what is good for Japan is always of course good for them. Now if I look at American history and for example the American acquisition of Hawaii I cannot say that I have the same sense of national pride. While I lived in Hawaii I was struck by how this place really did not physically resemble any part of America I knew and that the indigenous culture did not have any in common with the pioneers and pilgrims that settled America. Well actually my own family and culture also has almost nothing to do with the Puritan pilgrims either. The American government's decision to expand was based on acquiring a strategic naval base while also getting involved in the lucrative fruit business. The fact that the Hawaiians already had a society and government was more of a set-back than a real obstacle. So metaphorically at gun point the last queen of Hawaii (don't ask me to spell her name) signed what some call the “Musket Constitution” and gave away the sovereignty of those islands to the United States government. Now I am not going to argue with the fact that the naval base at Pearl Harbor did make a significant contribution to America winning the war and history could have turned out very differently if Japan instead was in control of those islands. This being considered I try to look at Hawaii objectively. The lives of Hawaiians did improve because of becoming a state of America but there were a lot of problems and injustices done to the them as well. At the end of the day I see the reasons behind it and perhaps the importance but I am not “proud” of America for acquiring Hawaii.
My friend also asked me about American society and because it seems so heterogeneous it seems more like lots of different countries than just one. A lot of libertarians in America would agree with her but I think her point really was that she found it hard to believe that Americans could really work together and cooperate in times of adversity. America does look very fragmented from the outside and in reality is quite diverse in ideology, culture, beliefs, and ways of life. This contrasts with the apparent homogeneity of Japanese society. If I take myself for an example, I am very critical of a lot of aspects of American society and history but if the American government called a draft to invade Canada tomorrow, as stupid as that war sounds, I would be on the first plane home. I believe that America has and does thrive on discord and that what makes America strong is the variety of people and opinions. The struggle for civil rights, woman's rights, gay rights, religious freedom, etc. is what makes America powerful and even the fact that there is room to debate these issues and the capacity to change is a strength in and of itself. I cannot help but sense a rigidity in the Japanese sense of national identity and personal status in the social hierarchy that hinders creativity and causes very lovable girls to appear almost irrational.
I would also add something that the homogeneity of Japanese society does resemble an overbearing hierarchy but it would not be fair to characterize the Japanese as robots. My understanding of the Japanese is that they have an almost ingrained, or just taught very early in their life, sense of maintaining harmony; in the home, politically, and in society in general. Japanese students will accept to take absurdly difficult entrance exams or accept being humiliated by a older person out of a desire not to cause a stir. I have a lot of respect for this because I feel like Americans too often make a fuss for not that good a reason just to get some attention. Also although the Japanese may seem uncreative, I think some of the most creative and interesting literature, movies, poetry, and other cultural items come from Japan. I believe the rigid exterior is meant to uphold this image of harmony but if you dig a little deeper and get to know some Japanese people you will realize that they are just as interesting and intuitive and any other person from a different country.
What I have found most interesting about this trip so far is how much I have learned about Japanese culture but with the Philippines in the background. It adds another dimension to my experience here. Now as I drown my sorrows in cheap rum I feel like I must reach out to more of the local women. I do love Japanese girls but considering I am in the Philippines and trying to learn Tagalog I think it is more appropriate to get to know some Filipinas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment